• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
If anyone is Dutch or lives in the Netherlands, I have a few questions related to accessibility of euthanasia. My understanding is that the Dutch have some of the most advanced euthanasia and right to die laws, even going as far to extending it to people who are suffering significantly from psychological pain (not just terminally ill or severely physically disabled). However, I believe that euthanasia is only permitted for citizens of the Netherlands, but not foreigners. So a few questions that I have are:

1) Can someone who is an US citizen who lives there and works there qualify for euthanasia or do they have to be a Dutch citizen?

2) What about people who are residents of Netherlands, or those on a work visa, or something?

3) Stemming from the first question, would it be really difficult for an US citizen to get Dutch citizenship or no?

4) If the above are not feasible for the average US citizen/foreigner in another country, what is the alternative, or is it simply not possible to obtain voluntary euthanasia for non-Dutch citizens? (Other than just CTB'ing on your own, which I can already do, but more concerned about losing the capacity to do so, like owing it to a serious illness, or injury that leaves me unable to physically suicide - e.g. quadriplegia, ALS, MS, etc.).

Reactions: Lifeisatrap, puppy9, Baskol1 and 1 other person
C

calendulo

Enlightened
Jun 13, 2019
I am not dutchman,

1. Yo have to be a dutch citizen.
2. I am not sure, but I do not think so.
3. I do not know, guess living and working there for several years.
4. One country is allowed euthanasia to foreigners, Switzerland.

There is a member called dutch, guess he/she will know more information.

Edit. About point 4, some months ago I did read on papers about an english citizen who asked euthanasia in Switzerland by vital ehaustion, he was widower and he has not any illness.

Last edited:
Reactions: Baskol1
TAW122

TAW122

Aug 30, 2018
Thanks and while Switzerland (Dignitas) is an option, it is expensive and difficult to reach and according to the PPEH, it states that one has to be sick enough to qualify, yet not too sick that they are unable to reach the place Switzerland. So for example, someone who is too ill to physically get on a plane and/or mobile enough to get to the country from overseas (US or other country), then that option would not be available for said person. I was thinking along the lines of somehow being an expat (in the future) and living in the Netherlands and working there so that way someday I can gain permanent residency/citizenship, or whatever it takes to qualify for euthanasia.

Furthermore, I have other reasons for wanting to live there in the future, which includes the fact that US is headed downhill in terms healthcare expenses and quality of life (for the poor) along with other personal reasons.

Reactions: freebird777, Soul, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 1 other person
C

calendulo

Enlightened
Jun 13, 2019
It seems is allowed to non dutchman citizens with residence. It is a doctor's choice.

Reactions: puppy9 and Baskol1
deflagrat

deflagrat

¡Si hablas español mándame un mensaje privado!
Apr 9, 2018
Check this post.

Reactions: Baskol1
AbandonedStudio

AbandonedStudio

Aug 22, 2019
This article (it's made by the Dutch government) states that foreigners can get euthanasia in the Netherlands too. It's obtainable for people with a physical and mental disease. A doctor has to obey 6 rules in the law to give you euthanasia:
- The patient's request for euthanasia has to be voluntarily and thought out.
- The patient is suffering from an untreatable disease.
- The patient must be informed about the consequences.
- There is no other way to ease the patient's suffering
- The executive doctor must consult at least 1 independent doctor and he/ she has to agree with the above statements.
- The executive doctor has to perform the act in a medically accepted way.
But a doctor can decide for him/ herself whether he/ she is willing to help you with euthanasia.

Hope this helps you a little.

Reactions: freebird777 and Baskol1
J

Jean Améry

Enlightened
Mar 17, 2019
A Dutch citizen who is not a legal professional will very likely not be able to give you a proper answer. There's also the difference between the theory of the law and the practice.

If you're serious about this I'd suggest looking up the contact data of a Dutch lawyer specialized in health law and ask them. They'll know the letter of the law and how it goes in practice. Of course it'll cost you but at least then you'll know for sure.

If it's necessary to go live there you'd better learn some Dutch beforehand.

Reactions: freebird777 and woxihuanni
TAW122

TAW122

Aug 30, 2018
Thanks @AbandonedStudio and @Jean Améry. It seems like maybe getting residency might be an easier option than going to get citizenship right off the bat. If residents (non-citizens) of The Netherlands are able to qualify for euthanasia, then there is hope in migrating there from the US. I will be doing more research and such and my temporary part time job/position that I'm in will end in a matter of a month or so, depending on how much work I have left to do in that company. Once my position ends, then the job hunt will open up. I am not looking to live there in the coming months, but in 2020 or so.

Proto

Proto

Student
Jan 21, 2020
As a dutch citizen i can tell you it's certainly not as easy as it may seem, you have to jump through a lot of hoops and be treated out before you are considered for euthanasia suffering with a psychiatric illness and it can take years before your application is approved.

Freedom Believer

Freedom Believer

Forever alone.
Dec 23, 2019
I heard about Belgium being very lenient towards euthanasia. Is Belgium any better?

Carrotcake

Carrotcake

Experienced
Nov 27, 2019
As a dutch citizen i can tell you it's certainly not as easy as it may seem, you have to jump through a lot of hoops and be treated out before you are considered for euthanasia suffering with a psychiatric illness and it can take years before your application is approved.

Agree, and to back it up with some numbers:
  • In NL, there is an estimated amount of 17.900 euthanasia requests per year.
  • In 2018, 6.126 cases were granted (knmg, 2019)
  • Of the 6.126 cases, only 67 were on psychiatric grounds. Roughly 1%. (Knmg, 2019)
  • However, this does not tell us much about the succes rate in the category of psychiatry.
  • The Levenseindekliniek (where you can apply for euthanasia after being denied by your GP) gives some more data per category of requests.
  • In 2018, they received 640 requests for euthanasia on psychiatric grounds. They approved 56. Roughly 8%. (SLK, 2018)

So, unfortunately, the odds are not really in our favor. Even though NL has progressive euthanasia laws compared to other countries, they are not nearly as lenient as people sometimes make them seem

TAW122

TAW122

Aug 30, 2018
That is interesting to hear @Carrotcake. It seems like only 34% of the cases in 2018 were granted (which includes both physical and psychiatric reasons). As for accessing euthanasia, I believe I would want to for physical reasons if I couldn't get it for psychiatric reasons as one of the my worst fears including being so gravely disabled that I would not even be able to physically end my own suffering. I'm going to guess that out of those 34% there are people who aren't terminally ill, but generally lead a really poor quality of life due to said chronic illness(es), but I could be wrong..

I still think that the Dutch are way further ahead in this area than just about everyone else, barring the Swiss and the Belgians as well. This is one of my reasons for wishing I was a Dutch citizen instead of an US citizen, but I digress.

I

Iemand

Mar 11, 2020
I heard about Belgium being very lenient towards euthanasia. Is Belgium any better?

Despite the fact that Belgium is very open in the field of euthanasia, it is still a difficult proscess. You'll have to talk to several psygologists. I know that people who suffer physically can request euthanasia much more easily than people who suffer mentally.

Reactions: Deformationalplagio