GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
For the most part, living things must consume other living things to survive. In order to thrive, living things try to take over environments, so even if a plant does not eat other plants, it will try to run out other plants that don't support its survival and thriving. Even plants have some form of consciousness, if not the kind of awareness of higher life forms, and they too have goals and struggles.

Life is competitive and violent. Whatever beauty, success, or enjoyment there may be in life, this basic concept is always underneath it all.

This hurts my heart. It hurts my consciousness.

Life is a gift my ass.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Wolfjob_dayjob, terry_a_davis, Curiositykillskitty and 11 others
deadpixels

deadpixels

Student
May 2, 2020
I couldn't agree more! When people talk about competition in nature they usually mention carnivores, you're the first one I found that sees beyond that. The plants are all the time getting nutrients and water from the soil and letting other die, growing faster and blocking the sun, etc.

And let's not forget the fact that every living being will decay and die, without any purpose whatsoever. (there are a few animals out there that are considered biologically immortal but they will die by other means anyway)

Reactions: Blackpoolbootz, PrettyMoose and GoodPersonEffed
PrettyMoose

PrettyMoose

Eat my arse, Pain&Sh*tness & Mindf*ckitation Grift
Mar 1, 2020
The only good thing that I can think of about this is at least there is the heat death of the universe to look forward to, though even with that I fear that there may be another big bang to start the whole process over and that this happens indefinitely. I will never understand why any of this needs to exist to begin with. It's all one big nightmare.

• Love
Reactions: Fragile and GoodPersonEffed
Blackpoolbootz

Blackpoolbootz

If it sounds too good to be true it usually is.
Apr 19, 2020
Totally agree. Evolution favours the most violent savage animals survival of the fitest I guess :-( . One consultation for me is my cat is to lazy to hunt, just with they made vegan cat food for him. But try myself to save any bother creatures best best we can, putting spiders outside and keep the respect for other life forms.

Fragile

Fragile

Broken
Jul 7, 2019
100% agree. and the worst part is that sentient life is expected to suffer greatly.

all living things will die and in the wild it will most likely happen due to predation. some species including canids, felines, some cetaceans and many others actually enjoy torturing their prey before they kill it. dogs and wolves hunt for sport without even feeling hungry.
and let's not even talk about parasites...

life is just cruel to the most fundamental level and humans are the worst of all.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: kinzokukae, Wolfjob_dayjob and PrettyMoose
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
The long slow process that creates consciousness via the organisation of basic principles is anathema to any consciousness that tries to perceive how it actually works and where it came from. This is the paradox at the heart of the thing that some call consciousness. The more you try and understand it, the more unlikely there is to be an explanation. Paradoxes are funny like that.
Better just to watch Neighbours.

Reactions: RayoSinSol and deadpixels
Mr2005

Mr2005

Don't shoot the messenger, give me the gun
Sep 25, 2018
For the most part, living things must consume other living things to survive. In order to thrive, living things try to take over environments, so even if a plant does not eat other plants, it will try to run out other plants that don't support its survival and thriving. Even plants have some form of consciousness, if not the kind of awareness of higher life forms, and they too have goals and struggles.

Life is competitive and violent. Whatever beauty, success, or enjoyment there may be in life, this basic concept is always underneath it all.

Life is a gift my ass.
Does it because this seems to help people and that hurts my heart

E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
There is something fundamentally wrong with our universe, or at least, with our corner of the universe which we call Earth.

I wish I had been a part of another universe where the laws of physics were different, and where growth of one thing did not pressupose demise of another.

Here, in our cosmos, we are doomed to live in a dog-eat-dog world. Sure, there's beauty too, but it's infinitely small compared to all the violence of existence.

Finding beauty in life is becoming more and more impossible for me. All I see is darkness and pain. It's as if I am trying to hear a whisper while standing near the Niagara Falls.

Reactions: GoodPersonEffed
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
The way I see it, the rise of life and awareness out of the fundamental principles of force and form, is ultimately driven by some cosmically osmotic reaction to entropy. So death lies at the heart of everything. That is either waaaaay beyond anything I can understand or it's fundamentally broken.

E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
It's nice to know the entropy of the universe is increasing. Blow this beastly universe to pieces!

Whether it ends up as a cold, starless universe, or whether it ends in a Big Crunch, it's all the same.

I am glad to know it will be over, someday.

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
LOL yes, trillions upon trillions upon trillions of years into the future. We are only at the start. The period in which life (as we know it) can exist, the stellar phase, must occupy a tiny fraction of time in comparison to the rest, which will be cold and dark and lifeless.

Or you could deposit one penny at the Galactic Bank and then travel to Milliways and watch the spectacle.

a.n.kirillov

a.n.kirillov

velle non discitur
Nov 17, 2019

Life is a gift my ass.
But the beauty is predicated upon the suffering, no?

What do you mean by plants having goals? you're making me nervous: do you think my cactus has aspirations to become a movie star? great now I have a bad conscience for propagating plants :-(

deadpixels

deadpixels

Student
May 2, 2020
and let's not even talk about parasites...

parasites may seem like cruel beings from our point of view but if we look from their POV, things are sometimes different. For example, the ascaris lumbricoides will hatch from the egg already inside your body and from there it will traverse to the lungs and back to the intestine, living their life. It looks horrible to us but for them, our body is the world, that enourmous structure around them is all they know to exist, they don't have any idea that we are an organism on our own and that they harm us by their mere existence.

on the other hand, predators like canids and felines, will attack other beings, will see their struggle for survival. It's not clear if they can understand that other animals are beings on their own, but I think it's more cruel than most parasites.

terry_a_davis

terry_a_davis

Warlock
Dec 28, 2019
There's a natural instinct in all life to survive and pass on genes which happens irrespective of any suffering on the way. If any consideration was given to suffering the organism might not be as competitive and might not pass on it's gene's.
I don't think plants can suffer like an animal can but I've not been a plant so don't know for sure.
There are some animals, even rats, that display altruistic behaviour to other rats, and of course some humans are this way.
Even 'good' things like altruism have probably arose through being beneficial for survival of species.

According to theory, evolution is entirely by chance and the appearance of purpose is an illusion. The theory holds that replication just happened by chance mutations that turned out to help the species survive better than those that didn't replicate. (not my words)